Foxtail Grass: Why Are These So Dangerous For Dogs?

family
October 12, 2017

There are quite a few things that can really impact your dog's health negatively. As a pet owner, we must be aware of these things and prevent what we can.

There is a new warning veterinarians are sharing on the Internet about foxtail grass. The seed is a barbed-like, razor-sharp needles, intended to burrow into the soil with the seeds.

The reason they are so dangerous to dogs, and just about any other animal, is that the seed works its way into the animal's nose, toes, ears, eyes, and mouth. The foxtail needle can even embed itself into the dog's patch of skin. In some cases, these seeds have embedded in dog's brains, spine, and lungs.

The risks of foxtails go beyond mere irritability. The seed is so durable that the needles won't break down once inside the body. Inside, the dog's body can become infected with a serious infection. If left untreated, it can lead to death.

According to WebMD, "Embedded foxtails can cause discharge, abscesses, swelling, pain, and death."

https://rumble.com/embed/u9sgx.v161tb/

Prevention:

-Examine your dog's coat during the foxtail season (May through December) especially when walking through fields.
-Brush your dog's coat as needed, looking closing for these needles.
-Thoroughly check your dog's face, ears, paws, and mouth for foxtail awns.
-If an area is red or swollen, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Share to spread awareness of foxtail grass! Have you experienced anything like this? In other news, pet groomer gives free haircuts to shelter dogs!

Next: Pet Groomer Gives Free Haircuts to Help Shelter Dogs Get AdoptedOct 12, 2017