Rescue dogs can be one of the best additions to any family. A family in Australia believed that to be true when they found a Doberman they wanted to adopt.
Khan, the dog, had come from a very abusive home, so Catherine was committed to doing everything she could to make him feel apart of the family.
However, just four days after they adopted Khan, he began acting strange, especially around their 17-month-old daughter, Charlotte.
Charlotte was playing in the backyard around Catherine's garden when she noticed Khan nudging the little girl around.
"Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressively towards Charlotte and kept trying to nudge her but it wasn't working," Catherine said.
Suddenly, Khan grabbed the toddler by her diaper and tossed her in the air. Catherine was horrified of what she had just witnessed. But right as Charlotte was in the air, Khan let out a painful howel that sounded like he "had been stabbed."
That was when she saw a snake latch onto Khan and realized that he had put his body in between his little human and the snake. Khan had been bitten in the paw by a king brown snake. If Charlotte had been bitten, it could have been fatal. A young child her size would have a difficult time surviving.
Khan continued to keep his body in between Charlotte and the snake until Catherine arrived. Khan was viciously barking at the snake until it scurried off — that's when Khan collapsed.
Catherine was able to pick up Khan and rush him to a veterinarian hospital where he received antivenom. Thankfully, Khan survived and is now back at home with his family.
"He saved her life by risking his own," said Catherine. "From now on, he's Khan the Wonder Dog."
What do you think about this brave dog? Share your thoughts with us on our Facebook page! In related news, a German Shepherd did the exact same thing, but his recovery took much longer. Check out this heroic dog here.