His Ex-Girlfriend Accused Him Of Assault, Facing Life In Prison, A Selfie Saved Him

November 16, 2018

On September 22, 2017, Christopher Precopia was having a typical day at his job at a lumberyard in Georgetown, Texas. By the end of the day, he was facing 99 years in prison.


21-year-old Precopia was arrested after his ex-girlfriend told police that he had broken into her home in Temple and assaulted her. She claimed that Precopia broke in and used a box cutter to carve an "X" just below her neck, according to "KVUE."


The problem: Precopia didn't do it.

In an oral and written statement, Precopia's ex-girlfriend detailed the entire incident of how Precopia forced his way into her home, pushed her to the ground before he punched her in the face and sliced her with a box cutter.

Precopia was charged with burglary of a habitation with the intent to commit other crimes, which is a felony that could keep him in prison for life.


“I had no idea who accused me of this; I had no idea why everything was happening,” Precopia told KVUE. “I was constantly fearful as to what could happen the next day . . . I was going to sleep hoping I wouldn’t wake up, just to get away from it.”

Precopia's parents took out loans just so they could post their son's $150,000 bond and pay for a lawyer to prove his innocents.


His family was working hard to clear their son's name. It was then, his mother, Erin, who realized they had the ace in their hands.

Erin realized they had a piece of evidence that would clear her son's name: a selfie that was taken at 7:02 p.m. on September 20, 2017, at the Renaissance Austin Hotel.

Precopia's accuser told police that the attack happened at 7:20 p.m. the same day at her home, which is nearly 70 miles away from the hotel where Precopia was at. Cellphone towers also helped locate Precopia's exact location.


“He was very fortunate that she chose a date and time that he just happened to have a rock-solid alibi for,” his defense attorney Rick Flores said. “He and I have talked many times about how lucky he is, whether you believe in a higher power or good old-fashioned luck.”

Flores also said that if the accuser had picked the day before or after, Precopia's only excuse would have been sitting at home watching TV or playing video games — a much less convincing alibi.

The charges were dropped on June 21 after Flores took the evidence to the Bell County District Attorney's Office.

While the Precopia family is not planning on suiting the police department, they are considering filing a lawsuit against his accuser, Flores said.


“We’re more upset with this person that blatantly made up a lie and got him in this mess to begin with,” Flores said.

“While [his family] is happy it ended up with a dismissal, and that it will be expunged from his record, the damage is kind of done,” Flores said. “Nothing will ever be completely scrubbed from the Internet."

Precopia met with a recruiter to enlist in the U.S. Army in October 2018, but he was rejected because of his "violent offense." Flores said that the encounter with the recruiting office is "a small example of how this will follow him around forever."


At this time, Precopia's application is "currently being reviewed by someone higher up at the U.S. Army."

What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts!