After three days of frantic searching, Kentucky State Police are reporting some good news.
"Kenneth Howard, the 22-month-old boy who vanished from his family home in Kentucky on Sunday, has been found alive, the Kentucky State Police announced Wednesday."
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the police say Kenneth was found “in the area of a strip mine in Floyd County, which is on the border of Magoffin County,” from which the boy disappeared.
No details were given as to the boy's condition except to say that he is ALIVE. Kenneth was taken to a nearby hospital for an evaluation after being outside for nearly 72 hours.
Authorities say the investigation into how he managed to disappear from his family home will continue. No foul play is suspected at this time.
A precious little boy went missing from his Kentucky home on Sunday, May 12th, Mother’s Day. His distraught parents say Kenneth Howard, 22 months, is a very curious toddler and they fear he may have walked out the back without his parents’ knowing.
According to WKYT, “Howard's mother was taken to the hospital Tuesday where she was treated for dehydration. She is back at home resting. Kenneth's father has offered a $5,000 reward for the boy's safe return.”
According to ABC-13 “A 22-month-old boy was reported missing Sunday night from his home in Magoffin County, Kentucky."
Captain Carter Conley, of the Magoffin County Rescue Squad, said Kenneth Neil Howard was last seen at his home in the small town of Salyersville around 7:30 p.m.
"It's gut-wrenching. It really is. We were here all night last night, flew the drone, had three different dogs out here to try and find the child," Magoffin County Emergency Management Director Robert Prater told WTVQ Monday.
"This is a beautiful little 22-month-old boy," said Ritt Mortimer, of the Magoffin County Rescue Squad.
Prater told WTVQ Kenneth may have gotten out through the back door of his home while his father was talking to someone on their front porch.”
Little Kenneth’s father, Elden, said he was with the toddler in the front yard, but when he turned around to get him, the boy was nowhere to be found.
The dad explained that this son had run down the family’s driveway in the past so he’s not afraid to explore or wander off. He fears that Kenneth may have walked off while he wasn't looking.
Searchers combed the surrounding area on Sunday and Monday, and are expected to resume their efforts on Wednesday. So far no sign of the little boy has been found.
Fox News reports, “Search and rescue leaders told the stations they’ve used all their resources, including helicopters, drones with thermal cameras and several K-9 teams with bloodhounds to comb the wooded area near the home in the days since the child disappeared."
Magoffin County Rescue Squad leader Carter Conley told WKYT, “We always hope, we always pray, that a 22-month-old will be found safe.
“We feel that God has led us today with everything we do, and so we hope that He’ll continue to do that as we go forward.”
Please join us in praying that little Kenneth will be found, safe and sound, and VERY soon!
This is a developing story. Please check back later for updates as they become available.