Safety Alert: Be Careful Using Power Strips or Extension Cords This Winter

November 30, 2017

The weather is starting to get colder and colder. This is usually the time that people begin to crank up their heaters and open up the Christmas boxes.

If you rely on a space heater to keep your home or office warm, be extra cautious this year. According to the Umatilla County Fire District, “You should never plug a heater into a power strip.”

The Fire District posted on Facebook, sharing a photo of a power strip that had been absolutely fried. They shared, “These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow.”

The heating elements within a space heater can get as hot as 600°F. If they’re not properly used, they can easily ignite other objects in the home.

A house in Ohio has already caught on fire due to a space heater. A nearby couch caught fire from the high temperatures and spread the fire at 3am.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, “Heating equipment was involved in an estimated 56,000 reported U.S. home structure fires, with associated losses of 470 civilian deaths.”

If you use a space heater to heat your home, always follow the instructions for use to avoid any danger. Be sure to plug the heater directly into an outlet and leave plenty of space around it to prevent fires.

It is also important to regularly clean your space heater. According to the NFPA, “The leading factor contributing to home heating fires (30%) was failure to clean.” Check your user guide to find out how to properly clean your unit.

For a safer space heater product, check out Vornado’s products. They include many safety features to prevent fires and keep you home warm. Find them here.

Are you the sort of person to make your bed everyday? It might actually be healthier to leave it unmade. Check out this article.

Next: An Unmade Bed Is a Healthy BedSep 27, 2017