High School Teacher Accidentally Fired Gun in Class; Students Injured

March 14, 2018

A teacher at a Seaside, California high school accidentally fired his gun in a classroom. The teacher serves as a reserve police officer for the Sand City Police Department for 11 years.

Dennis Alexander was teaching a class about gun safety for his Administration of Justice Class when his gun fired. Alexander had his gun pointing at the ceiling when it went off.


According to KSBW, the Seaside Police Department said in a news statement that no one was seriously injured. A 17-year-old boy did suffer moderate wounds when the remnants of the bullet bounced off the ceiling and stuck into his neck.


The boy's father, Fermin Gonzales, said that Alexander just told the class that he wanted to make sure the gun was not loaded, that's when the gun went off. He also said that the teacher was using the gun as a demonstration of how to disarm a perpetrator.


"It's the craziest thing. It could have been very bad," Gonzales said.

The school allegedly did not make their rounds with the student body to make sure everyone was uninjured. Classes were resumed as normal. The Gonzales family was stunned to see their son walk inside the house with blood on his shirt and bullet remnants in his neck.


The student's parents took him to the hospital where he got X-rays. Gonzales said that his son will be fine, but is very "shaken up."


"I'm just pretty upset that no one told us anything and we had to call the police ourselves to report it," Gonzales said.

Alexander was placed on administrative leave until further notice. He was placed on leave for both the high school and the Sandy City Police Department.


"I have concerns about why he was displaying a loaded firearm in a classroom. We will be looking into that," Sand City Police Chief Brian Ferrante said.

Alexander was labeled as a "positive and professional" man, with a great track record. He volunteers for the Red Cross and in 2013 was the Reserve Officer of the Year.


What do you think about this? Let us know in the comment section of our Facebook page! In other news, a dog dies after a United Airlines flight attendant forced the owner to put the dog into the overhead bin.


Next: Dog Dies After United Airlines Flight Attendant Forced Dog in Overhead BinMar 14, 2018